Environment artists create backgrounds and scenery in video games and film. After the concept artist sketches the idea, the environment artist creates a 3D model with texture, color, and lighting.
This position requires a bachelor’s degree, usually with a major in fine art, game art or graphic design.
Environment artists should have:
- Experience in 3D modeling software and photoshop
- High levels of creativity
- Good sense of scale
- Understandings of lighting and architecture
- Strong traditional art skills
They should also be team players and detail oriented.
Some of the main duties of an environment artist include but are not limited to:
- Creating and maintaining texture library
- Working with the design team to ensure optimal gameflow
- Creating and maintaining 3D prop and modular assets
- Working with the art team to create consistency
Check out these programs to start your journey to becoming an environment artist!
- Bachelor’s, Digital Art and Design at Tribeca Flashpoint College in Chicago, IL.
- Bachelor of Arts in Digital Design at New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, NJ.
- Bachelor’s, Digital Arts at the University of Oregon in Eugene, OR.
- Bachelor of Arts in Digital Media at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, FL.