Character modelers construct shapes of digital character models. In other words, they create and modify existing characters for video games, animations, and simulations. They are also responsible for maintenance and support of the digital assets and responding to guidance and review notes from directors and creative and technical supervisors.
If this position is of interest to you, you should learn about animation techniques, 3D design software, and traditional art methods. It is very important to be knowledgeable in all of these areas.
Character modelers should possess:
- Good communication skills
- Strong artistic ability
- High levels of creativity
- Quality portfolios
In addition, they should be ok working under strict deadlines and minimal supervision. Industry experience is required, so make sure you get the proper education and training you will need to succeed.
Attend an animation school… Check out these suggestions as you search for the right program for you!
- Associate, Animation + VFX at Tribeca Flashpoint College in Chicago, IL.
- Associate, Computer Animation at The Los Angeles Film School in Los Angeles, CA.
- Occupational Associate, Digital Arts & Computer Animation at Laurus College in Santa Maria, CA.
- Associate, Visual Art & Design: Animation Emphasis at Salt Lake Community College in Salt Lake City, UT.