Visual development artists design and develop the look and feel of of films, videos, animations, and other productions. It is their job to imagine and create ideas of what they think the animated world should look like based on story, characters, and action.
It is common for visual development artists to work with creative departments in order to create background, lighting, colors, environments, and props.
To create visuals that convey ideas of how they envision a piece, visual development artists use:
- Animation skills
- Illustration skills
- Drawing skills
- Design skills
They should be knowledgeable and have experience using 3D and 2D programs and software.
Most visual development artists work in:
- Animation studios
- Film and video production studios
- Game design and development firms
- Web design
- Graphic design
- Advertising and public relation firms
It is becoming more common for development artists to work in the mobile technology field as well.
Need help figuring out where to start your search? Start it here.
- Bachelor’s, Digital Art and Design at Tribeca Flashpoint College in Chicago, IL.
- Bachelor of Arts in Digital Design at New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, NJ.
- Bachelor’s, Digital Arts at the University of Oregon in Eugene, OR.
- Bachelor of Arts in Digital Media at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, FL.