Recording engineers record, edit, and mix sounds through microphones, setting levels, and sound manipulation techniques. They are skilled in different types of recording technology and sometimes, they also take on the role of producer and oversee artistic and technical elements.
It is important for recording engineers have good time management skills and be able to work one step ahead of the artists’ needs.
They should also:
- Be able to interpret technically what the producer and musicians are expressing to get an emotional response
- Have technical knowledge and skills
- Be a team player
- Be intuitive
- Take initiative
It is helpful to get a school degree or certificate, which indicates being able to complete tasks, social skills, and completing challenges.
Check out the degree programs below.
- Associate, Recording Arts at Tribeca Flashpoint College in Chicago, IL.
- Associate, Recording Arts at San Diego City College in San Diego, CA.
- Associate, Music Industry Recording Arts at St. Petersburg College in St. Petersburg, FL.