Film editors remove unneeded and unwanted bits, then put the pieces of the film together into the final product. They work with cinematographers and sound designers to combine the two.
Film editors should read the script and meet with the director in order to understand his vision for the film. It is important that they review footage after it is finished shooting and select scenes based on their entertainment value and contribution to the story. They also trim segments of the footage to the required length and assemble them into the best sequence for telling the story.
In addition, film editors:
- Insert music, dialogue, and sound effects using editing equipment
- Review edited film and make corrections for viewing
- Make revisions requested by directors and producers
Most bachelors programs include courses in:
- Digital editing
- Directing principles
Start your search for a program here!
- Bachelor, Digital Media, Major in Post-production (film) at Tribeca Flashpoint College in Chicago, IL.
- Bachelor, Digital Film with an Emphasis in Production at Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, AZ.
- Bachelor, Editing and Visual Effects at Columbia College Hollywood in Tarzana,CA.